“The Outer Sunset and its neighboring Parkside neighborhood used to be largely desert — literally; the area was entirely covered by sand dunes. The district got its name when a former city assessor, Aurelius E. Buckingham, went into the real estate business and sought a name that would dodge the area’s reputation for gloom. A real estate boom followed the 1906 earthquake and fire as San Franciscans fled the shattered and burned downtown areas toward new housing. The completion of streetcar tunnels from downtown to West Portal (1917) and Judah Street (1923) only accelerated the boom.”

~taken from the San Francisco Chronicle’s description of the Outer Sunset, click here to read more of their description

Advertisements